2 May, 2016
Invitation to ICFR KZN Midlands Field Day - 31 May 2016
This is an invitation to the next ICFR field day of 2016, which
will be held at Ixopo and Highflats for our KZN Midlands Region on Tuesday 31 May
The programme will all be field based, heading out after we meet at Sappi's Sutton Office near Ixopo
for early morning tea and coffee.
PPE requirements include a safety vest, sun hat and closed shoes
Off-road vehicle capability is also required - NO CARS PLEASE
Field Stop 1 is on Sappi's Sutton plantation and covers a range of topics including some of the recent ICFR commissioned study research
as well as presentations by Sapp
and the TPCP
- Early results from an investigation of the interaction between pitting method and fertiliser application in pines and eucalypti
- A review of the use of hydrogels to improve establishment success and results from a field trial
- An update on Leptocybe invasa - research, spread, impact of drought, biocontrol successes
- A presentation looking towards reduced chemical use within South African forest plantations
- One year results of a study looking at non-target effects of systemic herbicide application
The second field stop is at Highflats and will look at the work being done as part of one of our DST Forest Sector Innovation projects, investigating water balance and nutrient supply resilience - our unique "regolith project" where talks include:
- An overview of production responses from the site x species trials at Highflats
- An introduction to the importance of regolith for stand production
- A visit to one of the hydrological monitoring points
More details are attached and all are welcome to attend - please RSVP to Sally Upfold (email@example.com) or 0825700851 for catering purposes by Wed 25 May.
We look forward to seeing many of you at the field day.
Download the PDF programme: Field day programme