28 September, 2017
Commenting period on the SAFAS forestry standard closes today - 28th of September 2017
The period for commenting on the SAFAS forestry standard closes on the 28th of September 2017. The SAFAS working group have a workshop on the 2nd of October 2017 to agree on the final standard to be taken into testing on the 3rd and 4th of October
where the indicators will be tested for impact, clarity and
The testing will consider all scales of forestry:
including, communally owned plantations, small woodlots, private farmers
and corporate plantations and conducted by an experienced lead auditor
along with members of the SAFAS Working Group.
The working group comprises the following members.
- David Everard (Sappi Forests) - Industry Large Scale forestry
- Craig Norris (NCT Forestry Cooperative) - Industry Smallholders and farmers
- Makwena Meleka (Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries) Government
- Oscar Mokotedi (Department Environmental Affairs) - Government Environment
- Vusi Dladla (NCT) - Communities and Smallholders
- Steven Germishuizen (African Environmental Services) - Environment
- Sanele Khuzwayo (LIMA) - Rural development and communities
The SAFAS governing body thanks all Stakeholders the contributions so far received.